Thursday 23 August 2012

Another tempting kickstarter pledge

I noticed the Reaper kickstarter project a few weeks ago, when it had just started and there were about 30 models on offer. It seemed a nice idea to me, but I was quite sure I could resist it. I already have Battle for Alabaster on my list of upcoming projects, and I will almost certainly order the 40K starter set too. That's about 150 figures to add to the pile that's already hundreds strong. So it would be mad to make that even bigger, right?

I have actually painted a Reaper bones figure, a troll. The soft plastic is more reminiscent of cheap toy than finely sculpted miniature. Indeed, there is a definite softness to the figure, so that bits that should be sharp, like teeth and claws, are a bit thick and blunt. But, as a unit filler for a couple of pounds, it was a good option.

The current Vampire package shown here is amazing value, I would imagine that roleplayers, duneon crawlers and skirmish gamers are frothing at the mouth at this deal. As a Warhammer player (lapsed), there is some scope in this package, especially for Vampire, chaos or orc generals. There's a bit of everything in there if you look closely - pirates, sci-fi, villains, heroes, critters, there's even a few bits of dungeon furniture!

If I played a dungeon or skirmish game, I would be very keen. As it is, the whole thing ends in a couple of days, so I have just a couple of days to find a decent game that I could use some of these figures to play. To pledge, or not to pledge?

4 comments:

Laughing Ferret said...

I've been having the same dilemma. It's a ton of minis, and if I was involved in an RPG I'd jump at this, but those days are long gone. There are many that would be useful, but many I wouldn't find use for. The add-ons are tempting- i love the big tree fellow, and the jabberwock, but I'm sure these will all be available in bones after this kickstarter, and I suspect I can spend less just getting what I'd want afterwards. After all the minis I'm getting from the Mantic kickstarter I think I have too much as it is.

Minijunkie said...

I pledged, almost simply because of the sheer VOLUME of figures you get :)

That said, I'm a little worried now based on your comments about the Bones figure quality...

MrLee said...

Also looking at this deal.. and also have the Battle for Alabaster deal coming in ( but 2 boxes, not 1 )..

Wasn't aware of the soft plastic bit.. need to rethink this now I guess..

Will be splitting it with a buddy on pieces that interest us or our armies... some decent sculpts that would look at just being for show I think.

Nord said...

If you have a look around on youtube, you will find plenty of reviews, which show that they are bendy and a little soft when it come to hard edges, if that makes sense. Despite the claims that they take paint unprimed, I just used my usual routine and they took paint and washes, etc in the same way as resin/plastic. The biggest dificulty is cleaning off mold lines, being soft the knife sort of bounces off rather than cuts. Still, for the price, I reckon they are a good prospect for knockabout gaming.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...